Wednesday, March 26, 2014

First Formal Observation: Setting & Mood

I am so happy with how my lesson came together for my first formal observation. After doing some research online, I knew a lesson on setting and mood would be perfect! I love how it turned out.


I started out by having the kids do a five minute write to introduce how setting and mood work hand in hand. They were to visualize their favorite place, and write about it without mentioning where it is or how it makes them feel by using descriptive and sensory language. Oh man- my students are amazing writers! I was so impressed with what they came up with.


Next, I had them analyze how different settings within The Hunger Games changed the mood throughout the book. We focused on the woods, District 12, The Capital, and the Games. It is possible that this, more than anything, helped prove my point :)

I also wanted them to analyze some writing, so I had them read an excerpt from The Great Gatsby. After reading it, I had them answer the question "What is this place like?" using only one word. Given their answer, we would find words from the text that led us to the answers they gave.


"There was music from my neighbor's house through the summer nights. In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars. At high tide in the afternoon I watched his guests diving from the tower of his raft, or taking the sun on the hot sand of his beach while his two motor-boats slit the waters of the Sound, drawing aquaplanes over cataracts of foam. On week-ends his Rolls-Royce became an omnibus, bearing parties to and from the city between nine in the morning and long past midnight, while his station wagon scampered like a brisk yellow bug to meet all trains. And on Mondays eight servants, including an extra gardener, toiled all day with mops and scrubbing-brushes and hammers and garden-shears, repairing the ravages of the night before." — The Great Gatsby

In one class, we decided this place was thrilling. To support this, the kids used words and phrases such as champagne, stars, diving, slit the waters, parties, long past midnight, ravages of the night, etc. Thus, they were able to see how words can evoke imagery through descriptive and sensory language without having to blatantly spell out the time and place.

Finally, I had them create an online flyer describing their favorite place as a setting using a website called Smore. They included vivid descriptions, pictures, video clips, examples of how their setting has been used in literature, and examples of how it could be used in writing in the future. Here are some examples of their work:









I never cease to be impressed with them. AND I am loving all these exciting ways to administer formative assessments! 

I am glad to have my first formal observation out of the way- it was a bit intimidating knowing I was being graded. At the same time though, I have quality kids, quality material to work with, and I thoroughly enjoy what I am doing (like wake-up-excited-to-teach-my-awesome-lesson enjoyment). PLUS the observation wasn't scheduled until 7th period so I had all day to perfect it on my earlier classes :) So, 1 down, 2 to go, and I will be certified to do this on my own!!!

Source:

Smore // smore.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment