Friday, March 21, 2014

Characterization

After Spring Break, we started a new unit that focuses on character analysis. Each lesson I teach helps prepare my students to write their own character analysis essay at the end of the unit. As part of my student teaching, I have taken over the planning and teaching in Mrs. M's classroom. This means planning this unit from beginning to end and creating lesson plans for all classes on a daily basis. I thought it would be overwhelming, but I enjoy the work and have Mrs. M to keep me on track. I am learning so much and figuring out what works best for me.

I have really enjoyed teaching characterization, and I am very happy with how my lesson plans have turned out. I have been using Planboard as my calendar and online lesson planning tool- it is AWESOME! It is an online calendar that allows you to divide up the day by your class schedule. For each class, I can type up a lesson outline and attach the standards we will be covering. Sharing my lessons with Mrs. M is as easy as sending her a link. I can also attach the documents we will be using and keep notes and reminders all in the same place. LOVE IT.

Here are a couple of my favorite activities from my lessons this week (I also had them read excerpts from Mark Twain & Charles Dickens, but this was more fun):

To teach voice, I had my students read the following contrasting diary entries (found online):


8am- Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30am- A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40am- A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30am- Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12pm-Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1pm- Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3pm- Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5pm- Dinner! My favorite thing!
7pm- got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8pm- Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11pm- Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!


Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed has or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I neverthe less must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today, I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hears, since this clearly demonstrated my capabilities; however, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event; however, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feat as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe... for now.

These two were a great way to communicate voice, and the kids had a lot of fun with them!

My favorite lesson this week was about internal and external reflections. I was able to teach my students a little bit about psychology and the affects of other people's opinions of us (LOVED incorporating my undergrad degree!). Then, after applying what we had learned to a character from a novel we are reading, I had the students do their own internal and external reflections in an activity called "Judging a Book by its Cover."


First, each student created a collage on Pic Collage that symbolized how others see them and how they view themselves. Everyone got really into the assignment and enjoyed the metacognitive aspect of this assignment. They used this Pic Collage picture on their edublogs and wrote a post about what they had learned about themselves and about others by answering several questions in paragraph format. I am loving seeing what they came up with!

Here are two examples of their responses:


Other people normally see me as a clam, gentle and as a funny person. They wouldn’t expect me to go all silly and talk weird. But, they are wrong. I act like this because I don’t know the people that very good. The way I see myself is that I am wild, crazy and jumpy. Yet, I am very calculated and organized and try to be perfectionist. I find myself to be cunning sometimes too.

There aren’t many similarities between the two, but there are many differences. Crazy and wild are the exact opposites of peaceful and calm. Almost everything is different but I am funny and happy in both ways.

I think people see the way they do because of my actions and my words. When ever I do something, I think twice before I do it. I also talk politely to people so that they would like me. But, internally, I think about all the risky things that I could do. When I am alone I don’t always think before I do something. I go straight to it. I am very different externally and internally.


And this one is simple, but straight to the point:


It has been really interesting to read their responses and get to know them better. I am also happy to see them applying these important concepts to their own lives.

I am also excited about what I have planned for next week! On Monday I'll have my first formal observation (!!!), but I'm feeling ready for it.

Sources:

Planboard // planboardapp.com
Pic Collage // pic-collage.com
Edublogs // edublogs.org

No comments:

Post a Comment